Graduation Weekend at the University of Iowa has come and gone, and yet, I still don't have a diploma. This past weekend was a great tug and pull between confidence and self-doubt. As I started college four years ago, most of my closest peers graduated with their Bachelors degrees this past weekend. I, however, confidently {at times} chose a different path that requires six years of school -- hence the no graduation situation.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love pharmacy school and the pharmacy profession. The people, the patients, the work, and the constant learning are definitely the right place for me at this moment, but who would I be if I didn't question my chosen route every once and a while. Any twenty-something on a less-than-popular path is right to feel a little unsure about their decision -- right? Please say yes!
Graduation signifies so many things - the closing of a chapter, the opening of a new life, the end of childhood {for some}, and parents/grandparents showering their loved ones with admiration and pride. It was such a strange sensation to see so many of my closest friends going through this MAJOR life moment together as I cheered them on from the sidelines. I am so proud of all of my friends and the amazing adventures that they are embarking on with new cities, jobs, lives, and friendships, but I think I'm a little bit jealous. Most of them would tell me I'm crazy because I get to "stay in college for two more years," but they get to start a new journey of unknown places, people, cultures, and cities - I can't wait until I get to do that!
So, to all of the recent college grads out there, cherish your college memories, but acknowledge the great moments that are ahead of you and accept them with excitement and passion - you deserve all of the success! Congratulations!
No comments:
Post a Comment